Model United Nations, or MUN for short, is an academic simulation of the United Nations, that aims to educate participants in the United Nations, international relations and diplomacy. Participants take on the role of diplomats and represent various countries or NGO’s during simulated sessions and committees of the United Nations.
What is MUN Bern?
MUN Bern is a politically neutral student society at the University of Bern. Since its foundation in 2008, MUN Bern has taken a key role in preparing students for UN simulations with various workshops, guest speakers and lectures. All of which is done in order to enable every delegate to succeed during UN simulations. We offer a Seminar (5 ECTS) for Major and Minor law students in cooperation with Prof. Dr. Jörg Künzli. Furthermore, MUN Bern gives students of all faculties the opportunity to participate in different MUNs around the world, amongst them are the famous and prestigious National Model United Nations in New York or the World Model United Nations organized by the Harvard University. Apart from having the chance to participate in various UN simulations around the world, MUN Bern also serves as a platform for students, who are interested in international relations, negotiations and world politics. Furthermore, MUN Bern offers its members various preparation workshops, lectures from supporting professors and speeches from guest speakers. Through the collaboration with JUNES (youth UN network Switzerland), members have the opportunity to participate in UN related events organized by JUNES or other Swiss universities.
In order to become a member of MUN Bern you have to be a student (or exchange student) currently enrolled at the University of Bern. You can become a member no matter your field of study. Once you are a member, you have the possibility to visit all our workshops, events and guest lectures. As an active member you, furthermore, have the privilege to participate in MUN conferences and thus you will be part of a well prepared and motivated delegation of MUN Bern. In case you are interested, you can send us an email to email@example.com in order to receive an application form. Once you are a member you can choose freely over which delegation you would like to join. More detailed information about the process of becoming a member can be found in our statuses.
The members of MUN Bern are students from all different fields of study, the most prevalent are Law, Economics, Political Science, Social Science and/or History. Our hard working members are eager to actively participate in and to prepare themselves for various MUN conferences around the world. Being a part of a delegation and participating in a Model United Nations conference is an unforgettable experience and an excellent addition to undergraduate and/or graduate studies. Model United Nations conferences attract very motivated, hard-working and creative students from all around the world. If you want to participate, you should be a motivated student, who is interested in international negotiations, global politics, the United Nations and discussions concerning related fields such as economics and social or legal topics. A well rounded knowledge of the English language is highly beneficial. In order to succeed in a conference, you can count on our preparations. However, you have to be willing to invest quite some time. During our training sessions you will be able to familiarise yourself with the rules and the procedures of MUN and you will get used to hold speeches in front of other delegates. In our workshops we teach you how to write position papers and how to discuss/negotiate highly interesting and complex topics. Furthermore, we also offer special courses in rhetoric held by a professional actor in order to fully prepare you for the various conferences taking place throughout the semester.
MUN Bern is proud to offer a Seminar in cooperation with Prof. Dr. Jörg Künzli.
In this seminar you will get an insight into the United Nations Organization. During 8 months, seminar participants receive coaching by experienced members of our association and various guest speakers.
Open for: Major and Minor law students on both Bachelor and Masters level, during HS 2016/FS 2017
Registration: 15. September – 13. October 2016
Evaluation: 50% Position Paper 50% CapitalMUN
Important: Participation in the CapitalMUN conference is mandatory and your presence will be required at some of the planned events for completion of the seminar.
Further information can be found on the homepage of the Institute of Public Law: www.oefre.unibe.ch
· Kickoff Event (September 29, 2016) Get to know what MUN is all about and what your benefits are! Meet us at HG 120 at 18:15.
· Lecture about the UN: We will learn more about the history of the UN, the compositions and work of the UN and the role of Switzerland in the UN.
· Ice Breaking: At this event we will have our first short speeches, get out of our comfort zone and get to know each other better.
· Rhetoric Workshop by Prof. Tschentscher: Being able to express yourself properly is important for a successful conference, therefore, Prof. Tschentscher will introduce the basics of good rhetorical skills.
· Conference preparations & Simulations I-III: During the semester, we will have many different workshops and simulations where you will learn all essential knowledge to succeed at MUN-Conferences.
· One Day Simulations: This event will be an additional opportunity for our members to practice the gained skills before going to a real MUN conference and to take away some pressure from our seminar participants before CapitalMUN.
For further information or if you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us.
· Co-Presidents: Felix Bieri and Simon Meuli
· Seminar Manager: Geraldine Ineichen
· Member Manager: Isabelle Thöny and Kaja Meier
· Event Managers: Leonie Sollberger and Gaëlle Frischknecht
· Communication Manager and Website Manager: Michael Gilomen
· Finance and Sponsorship Manager: Livia Schmid
· JUNES Delegates: Leonie Sollberger and Julian Cooke
· Auditor: Carla Bertossa